The liver experts at Children's Hospital's Hepatology Clinic treat newborns to adolescents with liver disease or inflammation (hepatitis). Specific expertise from specialized training at our program ranges from treatment and diagnosis of extremely rare genetic liver disorders, liver tumors, post-cardiac surgery (Fontan) liver disease, liver transplant, and both chronic and sudden liver conditions.
We gladly provide second opinions on liver disease, and we work with your family and other doctors you may see to provide coordinated, high-quality, individualized care of the highest standard.
Conditions We Treat
- Acute (fulminant) hepatic failure
- Alagille syndrome
- Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency
- Autoimmune hepatitis
- Bile acid synthesis defects
- Budd-Chiari disease
- Caroli disease (autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease - ARPKD)
Meet Your Care Team
- Benign and Malignant Diseases of the Liver, Gallbladder, and Bile Ducts, Hepatobiliary Surgery and Liver Transplantation, Hepatology and Liver Diseases, Liver Transplantation, Pediatric Gastroenterology, Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, Pediatric Liver Transplant
- Benign and Malignant Diseases of the Liver, Gallbladder, and Bile Ducts, Hepatobiliary Surgery and Liver Transplantation, Hepatology and Liver Diseases, Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), Interventional Endoscopy, Pediatric Gastroenterology, Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition
Why Choose the Hepatology Clinic at Children's Hospital
- Exclusive care
- Collaborative care
Our collaboration with other specialties throughout Children's Hospital allows us to care for complex liver diseases that may involve other body systems. Our multidisciplinary clinical team of experts in oncology, hepatology and surgery, as well as nurses, pharmacists and social workers, meets your child’s and family’s needs from many perspectives. Inflammatory bowel disease, cystic fibrosis liver disease and polycystic kidney disease involving the liver are just a few of the complex liver diseases we treat using pediatric expertise.
- Recognized care
Our nationally respected pathologists work together with our physicians to help diagnose and monitor liver disease.
- Innovative treatments
We learn current and evolving technologies and research to treat and diagnose liver diseases. Our advanced procedure capabilities include liver biopsy, bile duct cholangiogram and TACE (transarterial chemoembolization of liver tumors), and ERCP (Endoscopic retrograde cholangio-pancreatography). Our hepatologists also advance the field through leading-edge research in new medications to treat Hepatitis C and Hepatitis B, participation in the SPLIT data study for pediatric liver transplant, and research in pediatric cirrhosis.
- Transplant program
Our Pediatric Liver Transplant Program specializes in small babies and complex transplants.