Pediatric Thyroid Nodule and Cancer Program
At the Vanderbilt Pediatric Thyroid Nodule and Cancer Program, we use a team approach to treat children with thyroid issues, which can include thyroid nodules, hyperthyroidism and thyroid cancer, among other complex thyroid problems. National guidelines recommend that pediatric thyroid surgery should be performed in a hospital with the full spectrum of specialty care, and that's what we do at Children’s Hospital. We provide personal care for our patients through experience, collaboration and advanced research. Your child and family will have access to multiple specialists and experts with coordinated clinic visits, and follow-up care available in Nashville and Murfreesboro.
Conditions We Treat
We treat all conditions related to pediatric thyroid cancers, including:
- Differentiated thyroid cancer (papillary and follicular carcinoma)
- Multinodular goiter
Meet Your Care Team
Ryan H. BelcherMD, MPH
- ENT Ear, Nose, Throat (Otolaryngology), Head and Neck Cancer, Hearing and Speech, Nose and Sinus Conditions, Otolaryngology, Pediatric Cleft Lip and Palate, Pediatric Otolaryngology
Monica E. LopezMD
- Anal/Rectal Malformation, Endocrine Surgery, Gastroesophageal Reflux Surgery, Neonatal Surgery, Pediatric Surgery, Thyroid Surgery
Christopher M. BaronMD
- Pediatric Radiology, Pediatric Vascular and Interventional Radiology, Radiology, Vascular and Interventional Radiology
Daniel J. BenedettiMD, MA
- Leukemia and Lymphoma, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, Sarcoma, Solid Organ Malignancies
Scott C. BorinsteinMD, PhD
- Division of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, General Hematology and Oncology, Leukemia and Lymphoma, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, Sarcoma, Solid Organ Malignancies
Why Choose the Pediatric Thyroid Clinic at Monroe Carell
- Recognized care
Our Pediatric Endocrinology Program has been ranked as one of the best in the nation by U.S. News and World Report.
- Access to research
Our team meets regularly to discuss research and share perspectives. The experts who treat your child learn from the pathologists involved in leading-edge pediatric thyroid research at Vanderbilt. And some of our doctors are gaining new knowledge through their own research, such as how other diseases such as obesity contribute to thyroid problems. Your child's outcome will benefit from what we're learning right here.
- Collaborative care
Thyroid treatment strategies are complex. Your child's care needs input from the surgeons, endocrinologist, pathologist, radiologists and other experts. Our team working together allows better communication, which means improved outcome and a better patient experience for your child.
- Convenient care
Our clinic organizes appointments with ENT, general surgery, endocrinology, nuclear medicine, radiology and other departments. This means your family will spend less time in the hospital, and your child will get more care in one visit.