The Spasticity Clinic at Monroe Carell is designed for children with increased muscle tightness and other spasticity symptoms. Spasticity management is complex. It’s important that you seek comprehensive care from an expert team that understands the long-term effects of spasticity on your child and family.
Our team includes experts in all established methods of spasticity treatment and pioneers in new treatment techniques. Our goal is to provide care that will optimize your child’s physical abilities. We provide ongoing support that includes follow-up visits with our team members. Our hope is to enable your child to reach his or her fullest potential.
Conditions We Treat
- Movement disorders
- Muscle contractures
Meet Your Care Team
Alice P. LawrenceMD
- Cerebral Palsy, Child Development, Developmental Medicine, Neonatology, Neurodevelopmental Follow up After NICU Hospitalization, Pediatric Developmental Medicine
Robert P. NaftelMD
- Cerebral Palsy, Epilepsy, Hydrocephalus, Movement Disorders, Neurologic Surgery, Neurological Surgery, Neurosciences
Jonathan G. SchoeneckerMD, PhD
- Fractures, Limb Deformity, Musculoskeletal Infection, Orthopaedics, Pediatric Orthopaedics, Pediatric and Young Adult Hip Conditions
Why Choose the Spasticity Clinic at Monroe Carell
- Access to specialists
In one visit you will see multiple spasticity specialists. Your visit may include visits with a physiatrist, neurologist, developmental pediatrician, physical therapist, neurosurgeon and orthopedic surgeon.
- A team approach
Our specialists provide personalized care for your child’s unique spasticity problems. Together, we determine the best treatment options to help you effectively manage this condition.
- Unique care
We are the only multidisciplinary spasticity clinic in Tennessee. Ours is the only children’s hospital in Tennessee that offers selective dorsal rhizotomy for children with spasticity. We also offer baclofen pump surgery and ongoing management.
- Coordinated care
Our clinic coordinator can help you schedule appointments and gather medical records and test results. We guide you through your care plan.
Tests, Treatments and Services
We offer a full range of tests, treatments and services, including:
- Combined dorsal and ventral rhizotomy
- Intrathecal baclofen pump placement
- Physical therapy
- Selective dorsal rhizotomy evaluation and treatment