Infant Substance Exposure
Newborns with intrauterine substance exposure can experience long-term effects physically and mentally for the rest of their lives. Our pediatric subspeciality team works alongside of our Maternal Addiction and Recovery Program to treat prenatally substance exposed babies and their moms. Drugs that affect fetal development include alcohol, marijuana, heroin, cocaine, nicotine, inhalants and prescription or non-prescription drugs like opioids.
Conditions We Treat
We treat all infant substance exposure conditions, including:
- Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder
- Neonatal opioid withdrawal syndrome (NOWS)
- Behavioral problems
- Cognitive delays and learning disabilities
- Congenital syndromes, as a result of prenatal exposure
- Tremors or body shakes from withdrawal
- Seizures from withdrawal
Meet Your Care Team
- Adolescent and Young Adult Health, Contraception, Drug Dependency in Pregnancy, General Obstetrics, Gynecology, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Well Woman Care
- Abnormal Uterine Bleeding, Contraception, Gynecology, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, Sexual Dysfunction, Well Woman Care
- Contraception, General Gynecology, General Obstetrics, Gynecology, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Sexually Transmitted Diseases, Well Woman Care
Why Choose Infant Substance Exposure at Vanderbilt
- Comprehensive care for mom and baby in one place
Our expert, subspecialty team will see mother and baby in one convenient location. Moms will receive comprehensive prenatal care throughout the duration of their pregnancy, as well as postpartum care after birth that’s integrated with addiction treatment and support. Babies will receive the necessary pediatric care from physicians who specialize in substance use disorders and substance exposed infants.
- Patient care coordinators
Our patient care coordinators help guide parents and caregivers through all aspects of the child’s medical, developmental and emotional needs. They can help you schedule appointments, gather medical records, address concerns and coordinate care among all the specialists involved in your treatment.
- Referral support
Our team can provide recommendations and pediatric referrals for specialized screenings, behavioral health, physiatry, occupational, physical and speech therapies, pediatric cardiology, gastroenterology and pulmonology. We can also provide referral for high-risk obstetrics and gynecology care.
- Connection to services
Our team helps connect women to support services at Vanderbilt and in the greater Middle Tennessee region, such as nurse home visitation, Early Intervention Services, food banks, childcare resources, and other supports.
Tests, Treatments and Services
We offer a full range of tests, treatments and services, including:
- Comprehensive pediatric primary care, including ongoing developmental and behavioral assessments
- Community resources and support
- Methadone for heroin and other opiate withdrawal
- Medication for withdrawal
- Benzodiazepines (for alcohol withdrawal)
- Non-pharmacologic interventions like swaddling or rocking
- Lactation support for moms
- Nutritional assessment and support