Pediatric Liver Transplant Program
Liver transplantation is a life-saving treatment for children with liver failure, metabolic cirrhosis and liver cancer that requires the care of an experienced team. The Pediatric Liver Transplant Program at Monroe Carell is committed to being your family’s partner through this process.
Our multidisciplinary team of experts provide superior pre- and post-transplant education, care and follow-up. As part of the Vanderbilt Transplant Center, we are able to provide world-class care and a seamless transition to adult care.
Conditions We Treat
- Alagille syndrome
- Arginase deficiency
- Autoimmune hepatitis
- Crigler-Najjar syndrome
- Fulminant liver failure
- Glycogen storage diseases
Meet Your Care Team
Lea K. MatsuokaMD
- Benign and Malignant Diseases of the Liver, Gallbladder, and Bile Ducts, Hepatobiliary Cancer Surgery, Hepatobiliary Surgery and Liver Transplantation, Hepatobiliary and Liver Surgery, Liver Transplant, Liver Transplantation, Pancreatic Cancer Surgery
Martin I. MontenovoMD
- Hepatobiliary and Liver Surgery, Liver Transplantation, Pediatric Surgery, Transplant Surgery
Anita K. PaiMD
- Benign and Malignant Diseases of the Liver, Gallbladder, and Bile Ducts, General Gastroenterology, Hepatobiliary Surgery and Liver Transplantation, Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), Interventional Endoscopy, Pediatric Gastroenterology, Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition
Carly M. BhaveCRNP, MSN
- Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, Pediatric Liver Transplant
Why Choose the Liver Transplant Program at Monroe Carell
- Advanced procedures
As part of an academic medical center, our team is able to offer innovative procedures not available at other medical centers. This includes specialized split liver transplant procedures, where a small portion of an adult liver is used in a child recipient. We also specialized in liver transplantation in babies under 20 pounds.
- Knowledge and experience
The Vanderbilt Transplant Center is one of the largest and most experienced in the Southeast, providing lifesaving care to our smallest patients. Our specialists have the expertise and advanced training to perform even the most complex transplant procedures with excellent outcomes.
- Team approach
We know our smallest patients require a dedicated team of specialists as knowledgeable as they are comforting in their approach to pediatric care. Our team members collaborate with experts in various medical specialties to provide your child with personalized care that addresses their unique needs.
- Recognized care
Vanderbilt is a UNOS-recognized Liver Transplant Program.
- Follow-up care
Children who receive a transplant at Monroe Carell receive follow-up care throughout their lives. Studies show that patients have fewer complications and better outcomes when families work closely with a post-transplant medical team.
- Living donor program
We offer a living donor liver transplant program to reduce wait times for a healthy liver. Part of a liver from a living donor also gives patients a better chance of a longer, healthier life.
- Innovative research
Our doctors and surgeons are at the forefront of pediatric research and education. Our nationally recognized researchers are committed to finding new ways to better understand, treat and ultimately prevent childhood diseases and maximize child health.