The Sarcoma Program at Monroe Carell approaches treatment with a specialized a group of doctors working together to develop a comprehensive and personalized treatment plan for your child. Our team includes oncologists, surgeons, radiation oncologists, pathologists and radiologists.
Conditions We Treat
We treat patients with all types of sarcomas, including:
- Alveolar sarcoma
- Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans
- Desmoid fibromatosis
- Desmoplastic small round cell tumors
- Epithelioid sarcoma
- Giant cell bone tumors
Meet Your Care Team
Christopher M. BaronMD
- Pediatric Radiology, Pediatric Vascular and Interventional Radiology, Radiology, Vascular and Interventional Radiology
Daniel J. BenedettiMD, MA
- Leukemia and Lymphoma, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, Sarcoma, Solid Organ Malignancies
Scott C. BorinsteinMD, PhD
- Division of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, General Hematology and Oncology, Leukemia and Lymphoma, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, Sarcoma, Solid Organ Malignancies
Jennifer L. HalpernMD
- Adult Orthopaedics, Bone and Soft Tissue Tumors, Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedics, Pediatric Orthopaedics, Sarcoma
Ginger E. HoltMD
- Adult Orthopaedics, Bone and Soft Tissue Tumors, Joint Replacement, Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedics, Sarcoma
Austin N. KirschnerMD, PhD
- Cancer, Division of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, Leukemia, Acute and Chronic, Lymphoma, Low, Intermediate, and High Grade, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, Prostate, Bladder, and Kidney Cancer, Radiation Oncology
Why Choose Sarcoma Care at Children's Hospital
- Integrated care
Ours is the only integrated sarcoma clinic in the southeastern U.S. We have extensive surgical expertise treating children, teenagers and young adults in all medical specialties. These include interventional radiology, pediatric surgery, thoracic surgery, neurosurgery, urology, head and neck, gastrointestinal, ophthalmology, cardiac, vascular, plastics and reconstruction. We provide every treatment option available for every patient.
- Leading-edge care
Our team includes pediatric radiation oncologists with expertise treating sarcomas in children, with access to leading-edge technology including proton radiotherapy.
- Convenient care
We feature a multidisciplinary bone tumor clinic where patients receive integrated sarcoma therapy at a single site.
- Collaborative care
We discuss every sarcoma patient's case in our tumor board meetings. This means experts from across Vanderbilt work together to decide the best possible treatment for your child.
- Access to clinical trials
We provide an extensive clinical trial portfolio for patients with newly diagnosed and relapsed sarcomas. This includes numerous studies incorporating novel experimental cancer drugs, immunotherapy and personalized medicine therapies.
- Psychosocial resources
We provide unique psychosocial resources to help you manage the emotional challenges of a cancer diagnosis. These include our exclusive new Behavioral Hematology Oncology Program, with two licensed psychologists dedicated to working with and supporting your child's and family's mental and emotional needs.
- Age-specific care
Our Adolescent and Young Adult Cancer Program resources ensure teenagers and young adults receive the optimal oncology care throughout their journey.
- Post-treatment help
You'll have access to the REACH Survivorship Clinic after treatment is completed.