Aplastic Anemia and Bone Marrow Failure Disorders
Children can develop a condition called aplastic anemia. This happens when their bone marrow does not make enough of all of the types of blood cells. The Aplastic Anemia and Bone Marrow Failure Disorders program at Children's Hospital offers expert care and treatment of these bone marrow disorders.
Different types of blood cells (red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets) are made in the bone marrow. These cells have different jobs in the body: white blood cells help fight infections; red blood cells carry oxygen from the lungs to the body; the platelets help form blood clots.
Aplastic anemia can develop if
- A child is born with a bone marrow failure disorder
- A child’s bone marrow stops working unexpectedly with no known cause
Because this condition requires comprehensive care and clinical expertise, a correct diagnosis from the beginning is important.
Services we offer
- Comprehensive, family-centered care
- Specialized testing for bone marrow failure disorders
- Education and counseling
- Advocacy programs with local, regional, and national organizations
- Participation in clinical trials and research
Conditions We Treat
- Idiopathic aplastic anemia
- Diamond-Blackfan anemia (DBA)
- Fanconi anemia
- Dyskeratosis congenita (DC)
- Paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH)
- Shwachman-Diamond syndrome (SDS)
- Other rare bone marrow failure disorders
Meet Your Care Team
- General Hematology and Oncology, Hemostasis and Thrombosis, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, Vascular Anomalies and Malformations
- Pediatric Allergy and Immunology, Pediatric Genetics, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, Pediatric Immunodeficiency, Pediatric Metabolic Disorders, Sickle Cell Disease, Stem Cell Transplant
- General Hematology and Oncology, Hemostasis and Thrombosis, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
Why Choose Care at Children’s Hospital for Pediatric Hematology
- Experienced care
Our medical professionals and family support team members have experience and special interest in caring for children and young adults with blood disorders. We work closely with your family to determine the best treatment options and approach.
- Dedicated lab services
Our clinic offers comprehensive laboratory services to quickly and accurately make the correct diagnosis to bring treatment sooner to your child.
- Convenient care
For those who need them, we can provide blood transfusion and intravenous medicine infusions in our clinic. This maximizes convenience and safety.
- Innovative treatments
The medical professionals and support staff on our stem cell transplant team evaluate and treat patients diagnosed with aplastic anemia if a transplant is needed.
Tests, Treatments and Services
We offer a full range of tests, treatments, and services including:
- Blood product transfusions
- Genetic testing and counseling
- Medication management