Children's Hospital's Hematology Program offers compassionate, comprehensive, family-centered care for children and young adults with blood cell disorders, bleeding disorders and clotting disorders. We provide education and counseling, and connect you with advocacy programs here in Nashville and across the nation. We'll also let you know if your child may be eligible to participation in a Vanderbilt clinical trial or research.
Meet Your Care Team
- General Hematology and Oncology, Hemostasis and Thrombosis, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, Vascular Anomalies and Malformations
- Division of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, Sickle Cell Disease
- General Hematology and Oncology, Hemostasis and Thrombosis, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
Why Choose Care at Children's Hospital for Pediatric Hematology
- Recognized care
Vanderbilt offers a nationally recognized, federally funded Hemophilia Treatment Center (HTC). Our clinic is part of a network of about 140 HTCs in the United States. National studies show that children treated at HTCs spend less time in the hospital, less time away from school, and have better outcomes and lower healthcare costs.
- Sickle Cell Disease Center of Excellence
The Vanderbilt-Meharry-Matthew Walker Center of Excellence in Sickle Cell Disease is a nationally recognized program that brings together primary care providers and specialists from local institutions to treat individuals with sickle cell disease under one roof.
- Vascular Malformation Team
- Comprehensive care
We offer a comprehensive program for care of children with bleeding, clotting, or blood cell disorders within our clinic as well as throughout the hospital. Our team consists of physicians, clinical nurses, case managers, social workers, child life specialists, and pharmacists. All team members work to provide complete care and education for you and your children as you navigate hematologic concerns.
- Experienced care
Our medical professionals and family support team members have experience and special interest in caring for children and young adults with blood disorders. We work closely with your family to determine the best treatment options and approach.
Tests, Treatments and Services
We offer a full range of tests, treatments, and services including:
- Anticoagulation/Blood thinners
- Blood product transfusions
- Coagulation factor infusions
- Experimental therapeutics
- Genetic testing and counseling
- Medication management
- Specialized coagulation testing and counseling
- Therapeutic apheresis