Pediatric Asthma Program
The Pediatric Asthma Program at Monroe Carell provides in-depth asthma testing, diagnosis and treatment for children and teenagers with asthma. We can help your child whether their asthma symptoms are mild, moderate or severe.
For more routine asthma cases, our medical team provides testing, assessment and development of an ongoing care plan that is right for your child and family. Regular follow-ups ensure good symptom and medication management.
Severe asthma care
For children with severe asthma symptoms, our experts deliver personalized care, education and regular outpatient follow-up. We consider the whole child, connecting you with other specialists at Monroe Carell in a way that is convenient and personal.
Treatment at our severe asthma clinic requires a referral from a pediatric asthma, allergy or pulmonary health care provider.
Meet Your Care Team
- Aerodigestive Diseases, Asthma, Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia, Cystic Fibrosis, Pediatric Pulmonary Diseases, Pediatric Pulmonary Medicine
- Asthma, Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia, Pediatric Pulmonary Medicine, Pulmonary Hypertension, Rare and Common Pediatric Pulmonary Diseases
- Allergic Skin Disorders, Pediatric Allergy and Immunology, Pediatric Asthma, Pediatric Eczema
- Aerodigestive Diseases, Asthma, Chronic Mechanical Ventilation, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Pediatric Pulmonary Medicine, Sleep, Sleep Medicine
Why Choose the Pediatric Asthma Program at Monroe Carell
- Comprehensive care
Each child receives a full evaluation that shows us how they react individually to their environment. We then create a personalized care plan for your child that may include new therapies.
- Ongoing education
We don't just treat children with asthma. We educate your family on managing the disease through teaching sessions and materials, including attendance at the Miller Harris Foundation Asthma Camp for Kids. We are also involved in educational conferences for health care providers, including our bi-annual Pediatric Asthma Education Conference.
- Dedicated care for severe symptoms
We offer dedicated clinic hours to children with severe asthma symptoms who have had difficulty managing the disease. Your child will receive expert, recognized care from pediatric pulmonologists, allergists and immunologists, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, asthma educators, respiratory therapists, social workers, care managers and program coordinators. If your child continues experiencing severe symptoms after other treatment options, we can help.
- Home-based care
Controlling environmental triggers is key to overall health for children with asthma. So, some families receive in-person visits to perform home environmental assessments through the School of Nursing at Vanderbilt University.
- Access to clinical trials
Some children with severe asthma may be able to take part in clinical trials of the most leading-edge asthma treatments. Multiple research opportunities are taking place through the Center for Asthma Research at VUMC.
Tests, Treatments and Services
We offer a full range of tests, treatments and services, including:
- Use of biologic therapies for severe childhood asthma (e.g., omalizumab, mepolizumab, benralizumab, and dupilumab