Pediatric Cleft and Craniofacial Program
The Cleft and Craniofacial Program's team at Monroe Carell brings experts from multiple specialties together to treat your child's cleft lip and palate and other craniofacial disorders. We know these delicate, complex procedures can be difficult to understand. We're here to help with compassionate care tailored to your child and family.
We coordinate care with your child’s primary care doctor for treatment plans that bring lifelong improvements in quality of life and appearance. Our team includes you and experts in the Fetal Center, audiology, genetics, neurosurgery, ophthalmology, dentistry, otolaryngology, plastic surgery, psychology, social work and speech therapy.
Our team of expert, caring providers aims to become global leaders in championing children with cleft and craniofacial differences through exemplary personalized care, continued innovation and education.
Conditions We Treat
We treat all cleft and craniofacial conditions, including:
- Apert syndrome
- Crouzon syndrome
- Head and neck cancer
Meet Your Care Team
Meet additional program staff members.
Michael S. GolinkoBS, MD
- Cleft Lip and Palate, Craniofacial Surgery, Maxillofacial Surgery, Pediatric Plastic Surgery, Plastic Surgery, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
Ryan H. BelcherMD, MPH
- ENT Ear, Nose, Throat (Otolaryngology), Head and Neck Cancer, Hearing and Speech, Nose and Sinus Conditions, Otolaryngology, Pediatric Cleft Lip and Palate, Pediatric Otolaryngology
Christopher M. BonfieldMD
- Congenital Malformations of the Brain and Spinal Cord, Craniofacial Surgery, Neurologic Surgery, Neurological Disorders, Surgery, Neurological Surgery, Orthopaedics, Pediatric Neurologic Surgery
Stephane A. BraunMD
- Breast Reconstructive Surgery, Cleft Lip and Palate, Fetal Surgery for Spina Bifida, Microvascular Reconstructive Surgery, Pediatric Plastic Surgery, Plastic Surgery, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Izabela A. GaldynMD
- Cleft Lip and Palate, Craniofacial Surgery, Ear Deformities, Facial Paralysis, Pediatric Plastic Surgery, Plastic Surgery, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Margaret V. MaclinDMD, BS
- Cleft Lip and Palate, Pediatric Dentistry, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Derrick R. SowderSLP
- Hearing and Speech, Hearing and Speech Sciences, Pediatric Speech Language Pathology, Speech Language Pathology, Speech and Language Disorders
Amber N. WinstonMA, CCC-SLP
- Autism Disorders, Feeding / Swallowing Therapy, Hearing and Speech, Hearing and Speech Sciences, Pediatric Speech Language Pathology, Speech Language Pathology
Liz WestAuD, CCC-A
- Audiology, Hearing Aid Services, Hearing Disorders, Hearing Loss, Hearing and Speech Sciences, Otolaryngology, Pediatric Audiology
Clare E. GargaroPA, MHSA
- Cleft Lip and Palate, Craniofacial Surgery, Ear Deformities, Pediatric Plastic Surgery, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Why Choose the Cleft and Craniofacial Program at Monroe Carell
- Cleft & craniofacial expertise
Our division chief, co-directors and program lead work with all the surgeons and providers to establish a relationship with your family and provide personalized team-based care.
- Expert care
Our cleft and craniofacial experts and neurosurgeon bring longstanding craniofacial expertise to Children's. They have trained at such institutions as Johns Hopkins, NYU and the University of Pittsburgh, and are nationally recognized experts and published authors in their fields. They bring a compassionate, patient-based approach to multiple treatments for craniosynostosis and associated syndromes. Our program tailors treatment especially for your child, including endoscopic-assisted craniosynostosis repair, open repair and cranial vault distraction.
- Recognized care
As a part of our “prenatal to prom” approach, we are in compliance with the guidelines and standards for cleft care of the American Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Association (ACPA). Expert clinicians from one of the top speech and hearing programs in the nation will care for your child with comprehensive diagnosis and therapy. Our specialty program for children with velopharyngeal insufficiency (VPI) features these same speech and language experts.
- Collaborative care
Ours is one of few Cleft & Craniofacial programs that feature on-site dental and orthodontic experts. They often take part in our routine evaluations and can offer your child ongoing care. We are proud to offer nasoalveolar molding (NAM) to aid in the success of cleft repair. Many of our consultations for NAM can take place in our pioneering Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
Learn More about the Cleft & Craniofacial Program
Tests, Treatments and Services
We offer a full range of tests, treatments and services, including:
- Cleft rhinoplasty
- Endoscopic craniosynostosis repair
- Helmet molding therapy
- Lip reconstruction surgery
- Post-trauma cranial and facial reconstruction
- Reconstructive palate surgery