Spina Bifida Clinic
Pioneers in caring for mothers and babies with fetal conditions
Vanderbilt’s Spina Bifida Clinic has more than 40 years of experience treating babies with this condition. In 2017 we saw 340 clinic visits and a total of 1,185 appointments. We are known around the world for pioneering prenatal spina bifida surgery. Other babies at Monroe Carell are treated for this condition after birth.
Conditions We Treat
Meet Your Care Team
Cyrus M. AdamsMD, MS
- Genitourinary Reconstructive Surgery, Laparoscopy and Robotics, Neurogenic Bladder, Pediatric Urology, Urology
Christopher M. BonfieldMD
- Congenital Malformations of the Brain and Spinal Cord, Craniofacial Surgery, Neurologic Surgery, Neurological Disorders, Surgery, Neurological Surgery, Orthopaedics, Pediatric Neurologic Surgery
Douglass B. ClaytonMD
- Laparoscopy and Robotics, Neurogenic Bladder, Pediatric Urology, Urinary Incontinence, Urodynamics, Urology
Craig R. LouerJr, MD
- Fractures, Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedics, Pediatric Orthopaedics, Spinal Surgery, Spine
Jeffrey E. MartusMD, MS
- Fractures, Limb Deformity, Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedics, Pediatric Orthopaedics, Spinal Deformity, Spinal Surgery
Lisa L. LachenmyerMSN, PNP
- Esophageal Diseases, Functional Bowel Disorder, Nutrition, Pediatric Gastroenterology, Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition
Why Choose the Spina Bifida Clinic at Children's Hospital
- Pioneering care
Vanderbilt pioneered in utero repair of myelomeningocele, a type of spina bifida, in 1997. A seven-year National Institutes of Health-funded trial, Management of Myelomeningocele Study (MOMS), showed a clear benefit for babies who undergo fetal surgery to treat spina bifida.
- Dedicated therapy team
Our Spina Bifida Clinic is rare in its offering your family dedicated therapists. An occupational therapist and a physical therapist are here to help your child adapt to life and growth following spina bifida surgery.
- Partnership in care
Doctors referring patients to the Spina Bifida Program can access care plans through a familiar and trusted source. Our goal is to work with your family and primary care doctor to help your child reach his or her highest level of health and independence. We care for you and your child from before birth to the transition to adulthood.
Tests, Treatments and Services
We offer a full range of tests, treatments and services, including:
- Endoscopic third ventriculostomy
- Postnatal surgery
- Prenatal surgery